TMC, the world leader in precision floor vibration cancellation technology, is seeking a Senior Control Systems Engineer to join our R&D team, research new technologies and develop our next-generation products. As science and technology explore ever smaller scales, instruments, experiments, and manufacturing processes are increasingly sensitive to low amplitude, low frequency building floor vibration. TMC is unique in that we combine our unparalleled understanding of floor vibration with a commitment to manufacturing complete solutions in our vertically integrated factory in Peabody, MA.
Our customers include semiconductor manufacturers (both the equipment makers and chip factories), university-based researchers in photonics and life sciences, private and national labs, microscopists, nanotechnology institutes, and drug-discovery researchers.
We are a business in the Ultra-Precision Instruments Division of AMETEK, Inc., a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electro-mechanical devices with annualized sales of $5 billion.
The successful candidate will be a thought leader in the fields of mechanical vibration isolation/cancellation, magnetic field cancellation, and advanced control system technology. As a key member of our Research and Development team, you will help establish TMC’s technology roadmap and play a lead role in developing innovative next generation products. You will work closely with colleagues throughout the TMC organization to provide responsive Sales and customer technical support as well as hands-on support to Production. Additionally, you will reach out to and establish collaborative relationships with University and industrial partners.
- Develop and implement active control algorithms and demonstrate functionality.
- Develop feedback and feedforward control systems to provide active mechanical vibration and AC and DC magnetic field cancellation, and motion control
- Develop and implement mathematical models using tools such as MATLAB / SIMULINK and LabVIEW
- Develop and implement active control algorithms and demonstrate functionality
- Contribute to the design of prototype systems and perform functional testing in laboratory, production floor, and end user environments
- Actively participate in new product development team initiatives
- Review new Sales opportunities, model expected system behavior, and make product recommendations
- Assist Operations in product testing and help develop acceptance criteria
- Assist Service in debugging field failures and make corrective action recommendation
- Assist Quality in evaluating customer returns.
- Minimum of MS Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Physics with an emphasis on control systems, vibration, and dynamics
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience
- Strong technical background in control system theory
- Experience with feedback and feedforward control
- Experience with adaptive algorithm development
- Strong proficiency using mathematical modeling tools such as MATLAB / SIMULINK and LabVIEW
- Experience in developing and implementing active control algorithms and successfully demonstrating functionality
- Hands-on experience in vibration testing and data processing in laboratory, production floor, and end user environments
- Demonstrated ability to transform analysis results into system or product design
- High level of interpersonal and leadership skills; must be able to influence across multiple levels within the company and locations
- Ability to clearly communicate complex analytical concepts and results verbally and through clearly written reports and presentations.
- Self-Starter capable of independently learning new technology and establishing a technology development roadmap.
- Experience in using computer aided design tools such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks and FEA tools
- Knowledge and experience in C and C++ and/or C# programming language
- Experience with electronics, analog filtering, data acquisition, ECAD design tools such as Altium, PADs, OrCAD
- Experience collaborating with Universities and suppliers in developing new technology