Advancing the World’s Technology Together
Our technology solutions power the tools you use every day--including smartphones, electric vehicles, hyperscale data centers, IoT devices, and so much more. Here, you’ll have an opportunity to be part of a global leader whose innovative designs are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and powering the future.
We believe that innovation and growth are driven by an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce. We’re dedicated to empowering people to be their true selves. Together, we’re building a better tomorrow for our employees, customers, partners, and communities.
What You’ll Do
The Technology Enabling and Development (TED) Lab is part of Samsung’s Memory Business Unit, the industry's technology and volume leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, and SRAM memory. TED has the charter to develop SSD for enterprise customers. More recently, TED has also been tasked to develop SSD controller architecture to support future enterprise SSD designs. We are an integral part of Samsung’s strong R&D focus & lab innovation engine. We work closely with development teams across geographically distributed sites to bring innovation to enterprise SSD product road maps.
The successful SOC Architect candidate will be a key technical member of TED Controller Architecture Team and will be responsible for designing and developing high level architecture for SSD controllers. She or he will join a team of experts in researching and developing innovative high level controller chip architecture for data center/cloud and enterprise SSD. The ideal candidate must have prior experience developing high level chip and system architecture of leading-edge high performance SSD devices.
The SOC Architect will be responsible for developing, contributing, and leading ASIC high level-architecture activities in SSI storage-based controllers. The successful hire will have strong knowledge of latest trends in NVMe standards, data center/enterprise customer technical requirements, and knowledge/experience of end to end SSD controller chip architecture. The job scope will cover technical requirement analysis, architecture specifications, high level design/flows, and architecture modeling for architecture level assessment of high level building blocks and flows using state of the art advance development tools and methods before microarchitecture and RTL development.
Location: Hybrid, working onsite at our San Jose, CA headquarters 3 days a week, with the flexibility to work remotely the remainder of your time the remainder of your time or Fully Remote, with the opportunity to work from anywhere in the United States with an average of 25% travel per year
Job ID: 41103
- Engage and Review standards and technical customer requirements at product, system, and firmware level.
- Analyze requirements for chip design, prepare architecture specifications, high level design/flows, and work closely with model development and microarchitecture team for architecture assessment and chip development.
- Evaluate and Assess tradeoffs using architecture level transactional and LT models for ease of implementation, leverage, scalability, and PPA.
- Research architectural trade-offs of enterprise/data-center storage controller ASIC.
- Write and maintain High Level Architecture Specification.
- Research emerging technology NVMe/Multi-tenancy standards, interconnects and map to optimal implementation in SOC and help develop new IP for high performance and mainstream enterprise/data-center SSDs.
- Analyze storage workloads to identify performance bottlenecks and opportunities.
- Collaborate with Microarchitecture/RTL team to ensure high level architecture intent is preserved during SOC and product development.
- Perform self-guided performance simulation studies of design alternatives.
- Work with other hardware/software architects developing one of a kind innovative Enterprise Storage models, MPW, and Controllers to ensure critical chip architecture assessment and decisions are made early enough in the design cycle.
- Propose and execute on innovations in software and hardware storage controller architecture based on their benefits to large-scale enterprise applications.
What You Bring
- BS. with 15 years, M.S. with 13 years or Ph.D. with 10 years in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering and at least 8 years of SoC design and architecture experience.
- Extensive experience with ARM microprocessor, interconnect, memory, storage SoC systems architecture.
- Demonstrated record of architecting, designing and delivering complex and high-performance hardware SoC systems and high density storage using flash.
- Exposure and understanding of storage workloads and benchmark performance.
- Experience in NVMe and multitenancy controller architecture. Solid experience in PCIe and NVMe interfacing and understanding of I/O protocols
- Experience analyzing storage workloads.
- Storage interfaces and protocols: PCIe, NVMe, and Evolving standards like ZNS, ZRWA, Open Channel, and other similar protocols.
- Network interfaces and protocols: Ethernet, RoCE v1/v2, and Infiniband.
- Flash technology: Toggle, ONFI, FTL,
- Familiarity with all aspects of chip architecture and development: requirements, architecture specifications, high level design/model, microarchitecture design, firmware, and System.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience writing detailed chip architecture specifications and implementation details.
- Provide architectural guidance throughout the design process beyond architecture model to microarchitecture and implementation.
- A strong knowledge through academic coursework or experience in NAND memory systems, as well as other memory types.
- Platform level architectures and performance. Strong exposure to performance analysis and design tradeoffs. Strong working knowledge of architecture tradeoff analysis and modeling tools, commercial and in-house. Exposure to SW development practices.
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- You’re inclusive, adapting your style to the situation and diverse global norms of our people.
- An avid learner, you approach challenges with curiosity and resilience, seeking data to help build understanding.
- You’re collaborative, building relationships, humbly offering support and openly welcoming approaches.
- Innovative and creative, you proactively explore new ideas and adapt quickly to change.
What We Offer
An investment in your future, is an investment in ours. That’s why we offer a diverse package of benefits centered around the wellbeing of our employees and their loved ones. In addition to competitive compensation and the usual Medical/Dental/Vision/401k, our inclusive curation of benefits empower our people to care for their whole selves.
With a charitable giving match and frequent opportunities to get involved, we take an active role in supporting the community.
Enjoy Time Away
You’ll start with 4+ weeks of paid time off a year, plus holidays and sick leave, to rest and recharge.
Care for Family
Whatever family means to you, we want to support you along the way—including a stipend for fertility care or adoption, medical travel support, and an errand service.
Prioritize Emotional Wellness
With on-demand apps and paid therapy sessions, you’ll have support no matter where you are.
Eating well and being active are important parts of a healthy life. Our onsite Café and gym, plus virtual classes, make it easier.
Benefits are best when you have the space to use them. That’s why we facilitate a flexible environment so you can find the right balance for you.
To help keep our employees, customers, and communities safe, we’ve developed guidelines for our teams. Currently, we encourage vaccination for all employees, and may require it depending on job functions (e.g., traveling for business, meeting with customers). While visiting our offices or attending team events, we ask employees to complete a daily health questionnaire and complete a weekly COVID test. Our COVID policies are subject to change depending on public health, regulatory and business circumstances.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Samsung Semiconductor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcomed and empowered to do their best work. We hire the best talent for our teams, regardless of race, religion, color, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, or veteran status. Our focus is on hiring teammates with humble expertise, kindness, dedication and a willingness to embrace challenges and learn together every day.