Senior Research Engineer (SOFC)
Petra Power is seeking an accomplished, ambitious, and creative R&D researcher to lead a small team in the development and improvement of button cells for the Company. This position will work closely with the Company’s CTO in developing and improving the Company’s button cell design. They will also work with other small teams of researchers and lab technicians on other aspects of Petra Power’s SOFC power system development to help build one of the world’s first affordable, reliable, and efficient commercial SOFC systems. An ideal candidate for this role has PhD-level research experience and some experience working on end-to-end SOFC development in an industry setting. Candidates should have extensive materials and ceramics experience, experience working in a cleanroom, experience with tape casting and high-temperature furnace usage, and mastery of wet chemistry for ceramic materials. Candidates should also be comfortable operating electron microscopes. As an employee in a small startup, a willingness to learn new skills, take on unexpected challenges, and be flexible with hours and responsibilities is highly valued.
- Developing and executing a research plan
- Leading a team of laboratory technicians
- Working in collaboration with other researchers
- Basic button cell research
- Basic button cell fabrication
- Basic button cell testing
- Willingness to work on more complex research projects past the button cell stage
- Powder Synthesis
- Tape Casting
- Ceramic Sintering
- Material characterization
- Chemical deposition
- SEM analysis
- Electrical testing
- Data analysis
- Assisting in the creation of research reports
- Diligent recording of results and processes
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Opportunity to earn Company stock options
- Ph.D. with a dissertation focused on some aspect of SOFC technology OR
- 3+ years of industry experience working as an engineering lead on SOFC technology
- At least some experience in each aspect of Job Responsibilities required
- US Citizen or Green Card required
- Ability to lead small teams required
- Ability to work with other researchers
- Willingness to learn new skills required
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule is strongly preferred
The above statements are meant to describe only the broad nature and level of work. What is listed above is a non-exhaustive list and may contain elements that are irrelevant to the true nature of work for this position. Other duties, responsibilities, and roles may be added and this description may be amended at any time.
Petra Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, skin color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category.
Berkner Group has been engaged to execute this search. If you were contacted by Berkner Group, please reply to the person who contacted you. If you are applying to a job posting, please email your resume and a brief introduction to email@example.com. Please include your name and the title for this position (“[Your name] — Petra Power – Senior Research Engineer (SOFC)”) in the subject line of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!