Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder) or be granted status as a "protected person" under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. This company is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. Their innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
The Head of High Voltage Engineering will be responsible for leading the design, development and testing of this company's high voltage equipment and subsystems (including substation equipment, power cables, cable splices, cable terminations, and dielectric insulation systems).
This role is located in a suburb of Boston, MA about 20 minutes from the city center.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide engineering expertise in the domains of high voltage engineering and insulation coordination
• Lead the development and utilization of engineering analysis, models, and simulation tools to improve the performance, reliability, lifetime, and cost of this company's high voltage subsystems and dielectric insulation components
• Lead the iterative design, build, and experimental testing of this company's high voltage electrical subsystem and component prototypes
• Lead the review, interpretation, and visualization of experimental data; use data to validate and improve electrical designs and strategically plan subsequent prototype design iterations and experimental campaigns
• Collaborate with broader team to integrate electrical system designs and high voltage engineering requirements with broader engineering and product development efforts, including thermal system designs
• Identify, evaluate, negotiate, and liaise with subcomponent suppliers, academic collaborators, external consultants
• Participate in documenting innovations and filing patent applications for key company innovations
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, applied physics, or related field with at least 5 years high voltage engineering experience
• Demonstrated creativity and experience in design of high voltage, power transmission or distribution systems and components
• Strong background in experimental testing of high voltage equipment designed for electricity transmission or distribution systems
• Specialized technical experience applicable to the position includes:
-- Experience in designing and testing high voltage equipment and components, including dielectric insulation systems
-- Experience applying high voltage engineering standards and testing requirements in the design of new products
-- Experience integrating high accuracy sensors and data collection systems with high voltage testbeds
-- Hands-on experience using engineering analysis tools for high voltage system design
• MS or PhD in electrical engineering, applied physics, or related field with emphasis in high voltage engineering with at least 5 years’ experience
• Extensive experience designing and testing high voltage systems
• Ability to supervise a small team of engineers and technicians (2-3 direct reports initially); help build and manage a high performance technical team
• Demonstrated success contributing to the commercialization of new high voltage hardware products
• Ability to build and maintain detailed understanding of this company's technology including design specifications and constraints
• Ability to specify, select, and/or design high voltage components and systems, including pole attachments, cable terminations,
cable insulation systems, and/or cable splices
• Ability to create new system designs and/or improve existing system designs with a focus on achieving increased high voltage
performance, improved reliability, reduced cost, and/or improved manufacturability
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; Ability to clearly communicate goals, findings, and issues
• Ability to build and manage high performance teams
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
• Ability to work with minimal supervision; self-motivated and directed
• Strong base salary with significant equity
• Ability to get on the ground floor of a small team with strong funding led by highly influential individuals
• Medical, dental, vision and life insurance 100% covered (family included!) with many plans to choose from
• Access to 401(k)
• Opportunity to solve an existential threat by bending the curve on carbon emissions
This position is a direct hire, permanent placement for a client of AdAstra.
AdAstra's mission is building thriving teams within elite aerospace organizations.
Our commitment is to curate and close premier talent for our partners, achieved via specialized technical screening, personalized culture assessment, and high-touch candidate engagement. We are motivated to foster boundless team satisfaction and catalyze innovation for future generations, enabling inconceivable technology from Earth, to the stars.
Connect with us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/AdAstraTA
Connect with us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AdAstraTalent