We’re not like most. We don’t just overcome obstacles – we don’t see them. Instead, we see the potential in every person, and every situation. We don’t wait for opportunity to appear – we create it. Meet ASM. A company that has been searching for people just like you.Who is ASM?
ASM is a leading, global supplier of semiconductor wafer processing equipment. Our ambitious team is dedicated to delivering innovative technology solutions to the world’s leading semiconductor manufacturers. We have over 2,600 employees based in 14 countries, including Belgium, Japan, Netherlands, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and United States. Together we work to develop Epitaxy, ALD, PEALD, Vertical Furnaces and PECVD thin-film deposition technologies for our customers. Our goal is to remain an industry leader by being ahead of what’s next. We accomplish this by focusing on finding collaborative solutions to make integrated circuits, or chips, smaller, faster and even more powerful.ASM, an inclusive workplace
We at ASM are a truly global organization that works diligently with an open-mind in all areas of our business. We strive for a culture and work style that fosters trust and transparency. We put our people first, and that is how we will continue to succeed. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We recognize and value the differences between individuals, including gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, knowledge and experience, work background, age, skills, amongst others. Recruiting and developing a diverse workforce provides a wide range of perspectives. This enables a culture of continuously exploring and adopting new technological ideas and innovations, and it also enables us to deliver excellent products and service to our clients.
As a member of the Key Account organization of the Global Sales and Services business unit, the Field Process Engineer is the on-site process application expert to support the customer in expanding ASM film opportunities on our installed products. In this role, he/she drives the process development projects and new product introductions with the customer. The Field Process Engineer is a technical bridge between the customer process development teams and the Business Unit Process Application Development Team.
Accountability in this role is critical. The Field Process Engineer is a key customer interface and must demonstrate responsibility, authority, and proper communication when interacting with the customer at all times. Delivering customer satisfaction is a key objective of this role.Key Responsibilities
- New Product Introduction (NPI):
- Undergoes training with the Business Unit to build expertise on newly developed deposition processes (thermal ALD, plasma ALD, plasma CVD, Epitaxy, and LPCVD) and hardware. Owns the introduction/transfer of these processes to the customer site.
- Work closely with the field hardware teams and Business Unit to support and troubleshoot issues on new products, including developing proposals for equipment and process design improvements, as well as conducting those experiments in conjunction with the customer.
- Escalates issues, as needed, to ensure a timely resolution and to maintain the project timeline/scope.
- Documents learnings during NPI and works with the Business Unit to ensure learnings are incorporated in future IQ/hardware/process rollout packages. Documents the learnings for subsequent knowledge transfer to the local service team at manufacturing sites.
- Process and Equipment knowledge, troubleshooting skills, and escalation leadership are key to ensuring the success of NPI equipment at the customer site.
- On-site process development:
- Support Customer deposition processes and hardware development (both new development and continuous improvement projects, CIP). Works closely with the Customer to design and conduct experiments to meet the Customer’s need (new development, device integration, CIP, troubleshooting).
- Analyze current baseline process and system performance; identify gaps with respect to technology node requirements.
- Perform problem assessment and root cause analysis of system performance issues (non-conformances) at customer site.
- Works with the customer to develop new opportunities for ASM processes and hardware introduction at the Customer site.
- HVM process transfer:
- Responsible for process transfer to HVM fabs and transfer of product knowledge to the local service organization.
- Documents and maintains the process and hardware learnings from the development phase and develops/transfers best known methods (BKMs) to the HVM site teams.
- Candidates at all levels (B.S., M.S, or PhD) with a degree in chemistry, physical chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or physics will be considered.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience for which comparable knowledge, skills and ability has been achieved in the areas of processing, developing and characterizing thin films deposited in any of the following types of deposition reactors: thermal ALD, plasma-enhanced ALD, plasma-enhanced CVD, Epitaxy, or LPCVD/vertical furnace.
- Good knowledge of and experience with semiconductor device applications, vacuum techniques, film characterization and metrology techniques, and thin film ALD deposition processes and equipment. Preference will be given to candidates who have a demonstrated history of optimizing film deposition and process development, preferably with ASM ALD, PEALD, PECVD, Epitaxy, or Vertical Furnace LPCVD equipment.
- Strong experience with advanced troubleshooting/structured problem analysis methodologies (KT/FMEA/7-step/Ishikawa diagrams/etc.)
- Strong experience designing and conducting experiments, in addition to measuring and interpreting experimental output, aimed at fulfilling stated objectives using DOEs and statistical methods.
- Proactively support escalations, develop and manage action plans, and ensure clear communication between customer, service team, business unit, or other sub-suppliers.
- Ability to travel, as necessary and possibly for extended periods of time, to the Business Unit for training and technical engagement, as well as to the Customer sites, as needed. The primary Customer focus will be at a site in Hillsboro, Oregon.
- In some cases (tool qualifications or escalations), additional hours and working weekends will be required.
- Must understand the Intellectual Property boundaries between ASM and the Customer and be able to maintain IP, as appropriate, during all external and internal interactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to clearly communicate advanced technical constructs in direct and concise manner.
From the very start of the semiconductor industry to the present day, we’ve been technology leaders who have pioneered innovation and brought new processes into mainstream manufacturing. We are collaborating, creating, and delivering on our vision – a shared vision to drive innovation with new technologies and delivering excellence with dependable products. By doing this, we’ll create new possibilities for everyone to understand, create and share more of what they love.Be part of our exciting future and join our team today!