Proactively works with a team of engineers and technicians on projects and specific tasks related to the manufacturing of wide bandgap semiconductor substrates. Establishes comprehensive ‘ownership’ of the chemical-mechanical planarization (CMP) production process: develops, optimizes, and sustains all elements of CMP processing. Establishes process capability and reliability benchmarks using Statistical Process Control methodologies. Actively participates in Engineering and R&D projects and commercial substrate manufacturing. Designs and carries out experiments related to substrate polishing and analyzes their results. Characterizes produced substrates using all necessary tools and techniques, including those available at II-VI, as well as from other sources. Investigates and models experimental data to establish correlations and trends. Finds innovative solutions to technical problems that lead to improved product quality, increased yields, and throughput.Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Optimization of CMP Process Technology -
Support for Substrate CMP Operations -
- Controls, optimizes, and develops substrate CMP manufacturing processes. C ontributes to ideas, concepts, approaches, and engineering solutions.
- Focuses on specific technological elements with the goals of improving yields, throughput and meeting the requirements of customers and R&D contracts.
- Ensures that each technological step is properly documented, reviewed, validated, approved and provides feedback to the R&D Center that will help improve manufacturing processes, improve yield and lower cost.
- Uses statistical tools such as SPC, DOE or similar for process development and data analysis.
- Adheres to project timelines and effectively communicates project progress and challenges.
R&D Programs -
- Provides technical and engineering support to the manufacturing team. Instructs and trains process operators and technicians.
- Establishes the technological process steps of commercial substrate CMP. Ensures that each operational process step is performed in accordance with our standard procedures.
- Performs process and equipment troubleshooting, problem identification, and corrective action activities.
- Assists with planning, scheduling, and resource allocation for all CMP related items.
Characterization of Technological Processes -
- Participates in R&D Programs by organizing and carrying out project activities. Adheres to the project timelines and milestones
- Summarizes experimental results in formal or informal written and oral reports. Participates in R&D meetings by providing reports, plans, meeting minutes, action items and other requested documentation .
Substrate Characterization -
- Performs characterization of technological processes using statistical tools to determine process reliability and bottlenecks. Analyses process/product failure modes .
- Characterizes the CMP processes to determine process reliability and “bottlenecks”. Analyzes process/product failure modes and provides feedback for process optimization.
- Contributes to the work of the quality assurance team by providing expertise in process characterization. Serves as a resource to the QA personnel with respect to the characterization techniques, equipment, and procedures.
- Actively participates in characterization of substrates. A nalyzes the obtained characterization data to establish fundamental trends and correlations and to develop scientifically sound conclusions.
- U ses the results of characterization to establish factors that affect crystal quality and to make recommendations for technology optimization.
- Communicates experimental and analytical results to the SiC substrate team in a timely manner to accelerate technological progression.
Special Assignments -
- An ESGP is co-developed and pursued.
- Accurate recording of work is maintained
- Company policy is followed regarding all safety, environmental and ergonomic requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining a quality work environment housekeeping standards.
- Cooperative in working with others.
- Adapts readily to changes in work caused by new requirements and/or situations.
- Effectiveness: Deals well with differences of opinion, manner and style; seeks ideas from others; pursues simple solutions to everyday problems.
- Teamwork: contributes to a cohesive working group; demonstrates commitment to and enthusiasm for team goals; demonstrates cooperation and coordination with all participants in the annual ESGP activity.
- Communication: expresses ideas openly, accurately and succinctly in both oral and written forms; effectively listens to and assimilates information from others; presents organized trains of thought; assures timely and adequate information exchanges.
- Self-motivates, responsible for the II-VI ESGP appraisal system with regard to one’s own career and personal development.
- As assigned and directed by management.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, or related STEM disciplines.
- 2 to 5 years of hands-on experience with process control and development in an industrial manufacturing setting. Experience requirements scale with degree relevance and level.
- Hands-on experience with substrate polishing or lapping processes. Experience polishing GaAs, InP, Si, SiC, or other semiconductor materials is preferred .
- Experience analyzing and interpreting characterization data for substrate surface or bevel shapes. Hands-on measurement experience is preferred.
- Experience with statistical analysis tools such as JMP, Minitab, or R.
- General knowledge of semiconductor materials, technological processes used in their manufacturing and methods of materials characterization.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results independently or working with others.
- Ability to recommend and implement improvements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of substrate polishing and lapping processes.
- Ability to manage multiple projects while adhering to strict project timelines.
- Effectively manages multiple priorities involving external and internal priorities.
- Fluency with programs and tools used for data collection, analysis, modeling and plotting, such as Excel or similar.
- Excels in a cross-organizational, cross-cultural, global team environment.
- Handles special assignments promptly and professionally.
- Sets a high standard of ethics, professionalism, leadership, and competency.
- Due to ITAR compliance, this position requires candidates to be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, or Protected Individual per 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
Individual Contributor, Self-Motivated, Meticulous, Adaptable, Customer Focus, Innovation, Planning and Organizing, Problem Solving, Decision Making and Continuous Improvement, Professional and Technical Knowledge and Skills, Reliable and Dependable, Results Oriented, Teamwork and Positive Relationships, Work Standards/Quality/ DetailsSafety Requirements
All employees are required to follow the site EHS procedures and II-VI Corporate EHS standards.Quality And Environmental Responsibilities
Depending on location, this position may be responsible for the execution and maintenance of the ISO 9000, 9001, 14001 and/or other applicable standards that may apply to the relevant roles and responsibilities within the Quality Management System and Environmental Management System.Culture Commitment
Ensure adherence to company’s values (ICARE) in all aspects of your position at II-VI: I
ntegrity – Create an Environment of Trust C
ollaboration – Innovate Through the Sharing of Ideas A
ccountability – Own the Process and the Outcome R
espect – Recognize the Value in EveryoneE
nthusiasm – Find a Sense of Purpose in Work
II-VI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.About Us
II-VI is a global leader in engineered materials and optoelectronic components and is a vertically integrated manufacturing company that develops innovative products for diversified applications in the industrial, optical communications, military, life sciences, semiconductor equipment, and consumer markets. II-VI provides a comprehensive career development platform within an environment that challenges employees to perform at their best, while rewarding excellence and hard-work through a competitive compensation program. It's an exciting opportunity to work for a company that offers stability, longevity and growth. Come Join Us!