Basic Function of the Job:
Primary focus to carry out a wide variety of SiC bulk material and surface characterization processes. Performs a variety of maintenance, calibration, verification and optimization on characterization equipment. Ensures production material is accurately counted as part of work in progress (WIP). Performs a wide variety of polishing and related activities in the context of the manufacturing of SiC substrate products. Supports the scale-up of characterization capabilities to keep pace with ever increasing production levels. Contributes to the continuous improvement of characterization capabilities to an industry leadership position. Supports polishing and clean-room activities. Participates in Advanced Materials Environmental, Health and Safety activities. Responsible for the II-VI ESGP appraisal system as it relates to your own career and personal development. This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job skills and perform other related work as required.
Production SupervisorDirect Reports
NoneIndirect Report (through Direct Reports)
NoneDotted Line (Matrix) Reports
None Primary Location:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- College level courses in math, physics, metrology, or chemistry are preferred.
- 1-4 years’ experience in relevant technology, laboratory or production environment
- Ability to learn and perform new characterization techniques through hands-on equipment operation
- Experience with networked PC based computer system (spreadsheets, Email, MRP systems)
- Knowledge of compound semiconductor (preferably SiC) crystal growth methods, equipment and processes
- Proactive at problem identification and solution
- Good reporting/documentation skills/ interpersonal/communication skills
- Confident in use of computer tools for process automation and data acquisition
- Knowledge in use of computer tools for data analysis
- Ability to train new or inexperienced operators or technicians to operate characterization equipment and processes
- Experience with precision measurement methods and systems
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings and process procedures
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and procedures closely while offering suggestions for continuous improvement
- General knowledge and hands-on experience in the operation and maintenance of characterization and related equipment in an electronic or optical materials environment
- Demonstrated capability to resolve problems that occur during characterization and related processes
- Knowledge of and ability to work effectively with process development /optimization tools such as SPC, DOE and ISO 9000 methodologies
- Capability to quickly respond to unusual events, emergencies and/or accidents
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural, team based environment
- Handle special assignments promptly and professionally
- Set a high standard of ethics, professionalism, and competency
- ITAR compliance requirement: Individual must be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, or Protected Individual per 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Demonstrates and promotes the II-VI Worldwide values:
- Customer First
- Honesty and Integrity
- Open Communications
- Continuous Improvement and Learning
- Manage by the “Facts”
- A Safe, Clean and Orderly Workplace
Production Related Employee
Adaptability, Customer Focus, Personal Initiative, Problem Solving, Decision Making and Continuous Improvement, Professional and Technical Knowledge and Skills, Reliable and Dependable, Results Oriented, Safety & Environmental Awareness and Proactiveness, Teamwork and Positive Relationships, Work Standards/Quality/Details. Job Element
- Performs daily SiC characterization duties, including micropipe density material preparation and scanning, material resistivity measurements, visual and microscopic defect analysis, crossed polarizer scanning, material flatness (thickness, warp, bow, ttv, ltv) measurements, x-ray measurements, leak check measurements, and any other measurements necessary to deliver wafers to customers.
- Performs daily calibrations and equipment verifications set by engineers. Assists with establishing and following preventive maintenance schedule.
- Performs weekly inventory counts of production and R&D wafers in WIP. Assists with maintaining inventory of all parts and raw materials necessary for the characterization of SiC material.
- Contributes to R&D success by prioritizing, organizing and executing contract characterization activities such that the timeliness of evaluation feedback does not impede the pace of experiments or the rate of progress of crystal growth quality, yield or productivity.
- Keeps accurate records and observational logs of all runs and wafers to be used by authorized WBG personnel.
- Communicates characterization results to SiC crystal growth, fabrication and polish teams in a timely manner such that process development is accelerated.
- Corrective action is identified and acted on appropriately.
- Quality assurance activities are followed such that ISO and product standards are met or exceeded.
- Maintains a clean and clutter free safe work environment
- A “focus on customer” mentality is maintained
- SiC Production
- Supports continuous improvement of production-scale
material/substrate characterization equipment such that II-VI achieves and maintains an industry leadership position.
- Supports continuous improvement of production-scale material/substrate characterization methods such that II-VI achieves and maintains an industry leadership position.
- Provides rapid feedback to production team such that they can optimize/maximize the output of: 1) material for sale to commercial customers and; 2) results on continuous improvement or scale-up programs.
- Supports and/or executes characterization improvements that positively impact production-scale SiC single crystal material/substrate throughput, quality assurance and customer service levels.
- Environmental, Health & Safety
- Actively supports company-wide environmental, health and safety programs.
- Quickly responds to correct any environmental, health and safety hazard.
- Provides and supports the evolution and operation of an EHS program.
- Human Resources / Administrative
- An ESGP is co-developed and pursued.
- Accurate recording of work is maintained
- Company policy is followed regarding all safety, environmental and ergonomic requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining a quality work environment housekeeping standards.
- Cooperative in working with others.
- Adapts readily to changes in work caused by new requirements and/or situations.
- Effectiveness: Deals well with differences of opinion, manner and style; Seeks ideas from others; Pursues simple solutions to everyday problems.
- Teamwork: Contributes to a cohesive working group; Demonstrates commitment to and enthusiasm for team goals; Demonstrates cooperation and coordination with all participants in the annual ESGP activity.
- Communication; Expresses ideas openly, accurately and succinctly in both oral and written forms; effectively listens to and assimilates information from others; presents organized trains of thought; assures timely and adequate information exchanges.
- Self-motivates, responsible for the II-VI ESGP appraisal system with regard to your own career and personal development.
- Special Assignments
- As assigned and directed by management.