Lightmatter builds chips for artificial intelligence computing. Our architecture leverages unique properties of light to enable fast and efficient inference and training engines. If you're a collaborative engineer or scientist who has a passion for innovation, solving challenging technical problems, and doing impactful work...work like building the world's first optical computers…consider joining the team at Lightmatter!
We are seeking a motivated and dedicated photonics design engineer for our next-generation artificial intelligence computing architecture alongside a team of world-class scientists and engineers.
In this role, you will be a key member of the team developing the world's first photonic computers. This is fundamentally an interdisciplinary team and outside-the-box thinking is the daily norm. You will need deep expertise in silicon photonics and semiconductor device physics, and an appetite to to learn about other engineering disciplines such as analog and digital electronics, thermal/packaging, and machine learning. The successful candidate will act as a team player, performing tasks at all levels to ensure the team meets its goals and deliverables.
You'll have the opportunity to build a new kind of computer from the ground up and to solve groundbreaking challenges along the way. Come work with people who love to build and who thrive in technically diverse environments where great ideas are prioritized.
- Design high quality photonic devices suitable for large volume production
- Work with external vendors to ensure timely development and delivery of key photonics related processes and components
- Collaborate across disciplines—with digital, photonics, analog, and physical design teams—to design devices that meet performance and power requirements
- Engage in problem solving and contributing with novel architectural ideas
- Work with the photonics team in defining requirements for device characterization, debug and validation
- Own the photonic device through all phases: concept, design, layout, testing and characterization
- MS in EE, physics or a related discipline
- 2+ years of industry experience in integrated optics
- In-depth knowledge of photonic devices and semiconductor physics
- Demonstrated track record of ownership of integrated silicon photonics components
- Experience with testing and characterization of photonic devices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and desire to collaborate in cross-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills specifically pertaining to problems that do not have obvious solutions
- PhD in EE, physics or a related discipline
- Familiarity with semiconductor process technology relevant for photonics
- 5+ years of industry experience in integrated optics
- Comprehensive Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- 401k matching
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Generous Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Paid Family Leave
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace model
- Stock Option Plan
Lightmatter recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.